“Marriage has the power to set the course of your life as a whole. If your marriage is strong, even if all the circumstances in your life around you are filled with trouble and weakness, it won’t matter. You will be able to move out into the world in strength.” Timothy Keller, The Meaning of Marriage
Having a strong and successful re-marriage takes some specific intention and hard work. Our desire to have a strong marriage isn’t enough. Purposeful choices matter so let’s look at ten traits that successful remarriages have in common:
- Be your spouse’s biggest ally. They are first. Have ‘their back” in all situations. (Before the kids, the ex, the job, etc.)
- Seriously pray for wisdom daily/hourly. Remarriage and stepfamily life is a huge challenge.
- Assume the best in your spouse. Stay positive.
- When nothing is going right, hold each other for 30 seconds, then kiss.
- Two attitudes are contagious: Gratitude and Forgiveness. We can never have enough of this stuff! Gratitude for each other and sometimes forgiveness for ourselves.
- Don’t forget about “self-care.” A stronger more relaxed yourub off on everyone.
- Keep gathering information and support about remarriage and the stepfamily. Tap into the experience of others who may be a little further along in their remarriage experience. Continue to invest in your relationship.
- You’re building a legacy of restoration. Keep that goal in front of you, even on the darkest days. It’ll be worth it. The best gift we can give our kids is a strong marriage. Always forward!
- Laugh more!
- Remember what brought you together in the first place. When was the last time you were on a date? Away for a weekend? Be intentional with each other…always.
If you are in a remarriage and want more information on how to make it strong please visit www.gilandbrenda.com There is hope!
What are your thoughts? Comment below
No more confusion or wondering how you’ll face the roller coaster of life with mental illness. Mental Health Academy is here to take the mystery away, and give you the knowledge and the tools you need to have relationships that last! The time is NOW to get our first course: Trauma.
Please subscribe for videos on our Youtube Channel for our amazing resources. I’ll be sharing great tips and encouragement for whatever your facing—whether you’re fighting mental illness or have a loved one who is.