RECOMMENDED RESOURCES FOR THOSE WITH MENTAL ILLNESS AND THEIR LOVED ONES
These books, websites, and other resources have been recommended to His Heart Foundation by our counselors or researched by our staff. We don’t endorse every word or idea represented, but find these resources to be helpful and appropriate in certain circumstances. We encourage you to read and research with discernment.
Mental Illness (General)
- Darkness is My Only Companion: A Christian Response to Mental Illness by Kathryn Greene-McCreight
- Grace for the Afflicted: A Clinical and Biblical Perspective on Mental Illness by Matthew S. Stanford, PhD.
- Troubled Minds: Mental Illness and The Church’s Mission by Amy Simpson
- Biblical Concepts for Christian Counseling, A Case for Integrating Psychology and Theology by William T. Kirwan
- Mental Health: A Christian Approach by Mark P. Cosgrove and James D. Mallory, Jr.
- Mind Over Mood by Dennis Greenberger Christine A. Padesky
- Why Do Christians Shoot Their Wounded? Helping (not Hurting) Those with Emotional Difficulties by Dwight L. Carlson, MD
- Resurrecting the Person: Friendship and the Care of People with Mental Health Problems by John Swinton
- Life’s Tough Questions by Dr. Steven Waterhouse
- Peace for a Lifetime by Lisa Murray
- Ministry with Persons with Mental Illness and Their Families by Robert H. Albers, William H. Meller, and Steven D. Thurber
- When Your Family is Living with a Mental Illness by Marcia Lund
- In the Shadow of Our Steeples: Pastoral Presence for Families Coping with Mental Illness by Steward D. Govig
- Faith & Mental Health: Religious Resources for Healing by Harold G. Koenig, MD
- Growing Up with a Schizophrenic Mother by Margaret J. Brown and Doris Parker Roberts
- Daughters of Madness: Growing Up and Older with a Mentally Ill Mother by Susan Nathiel
- Unquiet Mind by Kay Jamison
- Touched by Fire by Kay Jamison
- Less Than Crazy by Julie Fast
- I’m Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help! How to Help Someone with Mental Illness Accept
- Treatment by Xavier Amador
- When Someone You Love Has Mental Illness by Rebecca Woolis
- Addiction and Grace: Love and Spirituality in the Healing of Addictions by Gerald May
- 10 Best Anxiety Busters by Dr. Margaret Wehrenberg
- The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne, PH.D.
- The Anxiety Cure by Dr. Archibald Hart (Christian author)
- Healing Anxiety and Depression: Based on Cutting-Edge Brain Imaging Science by Dr.
- Dare: The New Way to End Anxiety and Stop Panic Attacks by Barry McDonagh
- The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression by William Knaus, ED. D.
- The Bipolar Survival Guide by David Miklowitz Ph.D.
- Driven to Distraction by Hallowell, Ratey
- Delivered from Distraction by Hallowell, Ratey
- You’re Not Crazy Lazy or Stupid by Kelly, Ramundo
- Hold Me Tight—Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love by Dr. Sue Johnson
- Created for Connection by Dr. Sue Johnson
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work Dr. John Gottman
- 1001 Questions to Ask Before You Get Married by Monica Mendez Leahy
- Five Minute Relationship Repair by Susan Campbell, Ph.D. and John Grey, Ph.D.
- His Brain Her Brain by Walt and Barb Larimore
- The Man’s Guide to Women by John Gottman, PhD Julie Schwartz Gottman, PhD
- What Makes Love Last? by John Gottman, PhD and Nan Silver
- Kiss Me Like You Mean It by Dr. David Clarke
- Men are Like Waffles Women are Like Spaghetti by Bill and Pam Farrell
- Boundaries in Marriage by Cloud and Townsend
- Does My Child Have PTSD? What to Do When Your Child Is Hurting from the Inside Out by Jolene Philo
- Angry Octopus: Children Learn How to Control Anger, Reduce Stress and Fall Asleep Faster by Lori Lite
- A Terrible Thing Happened by Margaret Holmes
- 8 Great Smarts Discover and Nurture Your Child’s Intelligences by Kathy Koch, PhD.
- The Whole-Brain Child by Dr. Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson, PH.D.
- Brainstorm – The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain by Dr. Daniel J. Siegel
- New Skills for Frazzled Parents by Dr. Daniel Amen
- Images of Human Behavior a Brain SPECT Atlas by Dr. Daniel G. Amen
- Siblings without Rivalry by Faber and Mazlish
- Understanding Gender Dysphoria by Dr. Mark Yarhouse
- I Wasn’t Ready to Say Goodbye by Brook Noel with Pamela D. Blair, PH. D.
- Grief/Share Your Journey from Mourning to Joy
- A Grace Disguised by Jerry Sittser
- A Grace Revealed by Jerry Sittser
- A Symphony in the Dark by Barbara Rainey & Rebecca Rainey Mitzi
- Coping with Life After Your Mate Dies by Donald C. Cushenberry and Rita Crossley Cushenberry
- Caring for Yourself While You Grieve by Kelly Osmont, MSW, LCSW
- The Comfort Book for Those Who Mourn by Anna Trimiew
- A Simple Gift of Comfort by Jane Kirkpatrick
- Healing Your Grieving Heart – 100 Practical Ideas by Alan D. Wolfelt, PH.D.
- Life Lessons—Two Experts on Death and Dying Teach Us About the Mysterious of Life by Elizabeth Kubler Ross MD and David Kessler
- The Needs of the Dying by David Kessler
- You Can Heal Your Heart by Louise L Hay and David Kessler
- Trips. And Crowded Rooms by David Kessler
- On Grief and Grieving—Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss by Elizabeth Kubler Ross MD and David Kessler
- Tear Soup by Pat Schwiebert and Chuck DeKlyen